Staking on Bitvavo
Bitvavo is offering off-chain and on-chain staking services which we call together the staking services. The off-chain staking services gives you the option to earn rewards on available and idle account balances you maintain in your Bitvavo account. The on-chain staking services gives you the possibility that your digital assets actively participate in the transaction validation (similar to mining) process on a proof-of-stake blockchain. On these blockchains, anyone with a minimum-required balance of a specific digital asset can validate transactions and earn staking rewards.
How does staking with Bitvavo work?
As long as you have digital assets on your Bitvavo account which are supported by our staking program, Bitvavo can stake for you:
- You only need to opt in for our staking services. There is no additional work necessary on your end.
- The services will apply for all available and supported digital assets on your account.
- You retain full ownership of your digital assets.
For which digital assets are the staking services available?
Digital assets listed on Bitvavo which are currently supported by our staking services include:
- ARK (ARK)
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Cardano (ADA)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- ICON (ICX)
- NEO (NEO)
- Ontology (ONG)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Tezos (XTZ)
- Tron (TRX)
- VeChain (VET)
- Waves (WAVES)
If new digital assets are supported by our staking program, we will update the available asset list here.
Bitvavo is not a bank and/or regulated as a bank or other depository institution. The staking services are not part of a depository or bank program, subject to the EU deposit guarantee schemes or covered by any other third party. You are only allowed to participate in the staking program with digital assets that are initially bought or deposited for the purpose of trading digital assets on the Bitvavo platform.
For further information read our Terms of Service and feel free to contact our support team by using our live chat function or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do rewards work?
Rewards are calculated on two factors:
- The current rewards rate seen in your account. For some digital assets this is a fixed rate based on the staking rules of the underlying protocol (for example 0.000432 VTHO per VET per day). For other assets this reward rate might change over time (for example Tezos, where the reward is influenced by the total amount staked across the entire network).
- The amount of the digital assets you hold in your particular wallet on a daily basis. To determine this amount, we look at the lowest amount you have had in your wallet on that specific day. Assets held in open orders are included in this calculation.
Rewards are most of the time distributed in the same digital currency (except in case of NEO & GAS and VET & VTHO) and are automatically credited to your digital asset wallet on a weekly basis. In addition, you can submit a request to receive your accrued rewards directly.
Can I trade or send funds while they are being staked?
While your digital assets are staked in our staking program, you will be able to trade and withdraw your digital assets participating in our staking program as you would for any other digital asset on your Bitvavo account.
Can I opt out?
Yes, you can opt out for the staking services at any moment but will no longer receive staking rewards until you opt back in.