Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA), also known as authentication in two steps, is an additional security measure on top of your username and password. After you have activated 2FA for your Bitvavo account, you will have to provide your username and password (the first factor) and subsequently an additional 2FA-code (the second factor). The 2FA code is connected to a device you own, such as a phone.
How do I activate 2FA?
Follow the below steps to activate Two-Factor Authentication:
- Login to your Bitvavo account.
- Click on your name at the top-right corner of your screen and choose “Settings”
- Go to the header “Security settings”
- Press the button “Enable” next to “Two-Factor Authentication”.
- Enter your password.
- Download the Google Authenticator or Authy app.
- Scan the QR code with the Google Authenticator or Authy app.
- Enter the code shown to you.
The next time you want to login on your account, you will be asked to enter the code from your authentication app as well. Remember to disable 2FA if you are planning to switch to a new phone(number).
How do I download the Google Authenticator app?
Install the Google Authenticator app from the App store (for iPhones) or the Play Store (for Android phones). After installation, open the app and follow the steps below:
- Click on the red circle with a plus sign in the middle, at the bottom of your screen.
- Subsequently click on “scan a barcode”, after which the camera will activate, and point the camera at the QR code. You could also click on “Enter code manually” and enter the code like that.
- Afterwards the 2FA of Bitvavo will be displayed, which changes every 30 seconds.
- Print/save the restore code to use in case your 2FA device gets lost.
How do I download the Authy app?
Install the Authy app from the App Store (for iPhones) or the Play Store (for Android phones). After installation and follow these steps:
- Open the app and click on “+ Add Account” at the bottom of your screen.
- After that click on “scan a barcode”, after which the camera will activate, and point the camera at the QR code. You could also click on “Enter code manually” and enter the code like that.
- Pick a logo that belongs to the website and give the account a name to remember it by.
- Afterwards the 2FA of Bitvavo will be displayed which changes every 30 seconds.
- Print/save the restore codes in case your 2FA device gets lost.
I would rather not use the Google Authenticator or Authy app. Which other options do I have?
Here are some alternatives if you prefer not to use the Google Authenticator or Authy app:
- LastPass Authenticator.
- Microsoft Authenticator.
- Yubico Authenticator.
What if my 2FA code does not work anymore or I do not receive the code anymore?
If you are experiencing problems with your 2FA code, you can reset it easily. The steps required to reset your 2FA code can be found here.
Where can I find more information on the security/safety of my Bitvavo account?
More information about the security measures taken by Bitvavo to keep your account as secure as possible, and which steps you can take yourself can be found on the following pages: