Bitvavo’s anti-money laundering and combat terrorist financing (AML/CTF) policy is designed to prevent money laundering by meeting the European standards on combating money laundering and terrorism financing, including the need to have adequate systems and controls in place to mitigate the risk of the firm being used to facilitate financial crime.
As such, our compliance department performs transaction monitoring to help identify unusual patterns of customer activity. A suspicious transaction is often one that is inconsistent with a customer’s known and legitimate business, personal activities or personal means and could, among others, be one of the following kinds of transactions:
- Incoming or outgoing transfers of virtual currency which are directly or indirectly related to
- Terrorist financing;
- Mixing services;
- High risk exchanges (e.g. no KYC);
- Stolen funds;
- Dark markets;
- Online gambling platforms;
- Bitcoin ATM's;
- Services in High Risk Jurisdictions (e.g. Iran or Venezuela)
- Offshore brokers (Forex).
Our compliance department reviews and investigates unusual activities to determine on a case-by-case basis whether the activities could be classified as suspicious. In this respect, our compliance department might in some cases reach out to you by sending an email from email@example.com to request for additional information.
If our compliance department determines that a transaction is suspicious, this could result in - among others - notifications to the Financial Intelligence Unit and offboarding the customer. In addition, Bitvavo is obliged to notify all transactions exceeding the value of EUR15K to the Financial Intelligence Unit.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- How do I send (withdraw) digital currency to an external wallet?
- How do I transfer (deposit) digital currency to my Bitvavo wallet?
- Wallet verification guide
- Why has the digital currency that I sent to my external wallet not arrived yet?
- Can I cancel a digital currency withdrawal?
- Can I participate in an ICO with my Bitvavo wallet?
- How much are the withdrawal costs (blockchain fees) for digital currency?
- I have transferred digital currency to the wrong address. How do I get it back?
- Is my hosted wallet well secured?