We suggest you to follow these steps In the unlikely event of a third party acquiring access to your Bitvavo account:
1. Contact our compliance department
- Send an email to email@example.com.
- Please indicate in the title of the email that it is urgent. Explain in the body of the email that your account has been compromised.
- We will find out for you whether a third party has access to your account and will take measures accordingly.
2. Reset your password
- Create a new password for your Bitvavo account which is difficult to guess. Also, do not use a password that you also use for other online accounts.
- How to create a strong password is explained here.
3. Enable two-factor authentication
- Enable two-factor authentication for your account. This will make your account even more secure and it will require you to enter both your password and a code on your mobile in order to log in.
- What two-factor authentication is and how to enable it is explained here.
4. Reset the password of your e-mail account and enable two-factor authentication here as well
- Make sure your e-mail account linked to your Bitvavo account is properly secured. Do this by enabling two-factor authentication for your email account and periodically check haveibeenpwned.com to make sure your email account has not been hacked. Again, set a new password that is difficult to retrieve. Also, do not use a password that you also use for other accounts.
5. Consider formatting your computer
- Contact our fraud department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ask if there is any malware
- If there is a possibility of malware, we recommend that you wipe your hard drive completely and reinstall Windows.
6. File a police report
- It is not allowed for a third party to log into your Bitvavo account as this is punishable under (Dutch) law.
- We always recommend that you report to the police if a third party has accessed your account, especially in cases where you did not consent.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- How can I make my account even more secure?
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
- Crypto withdrawals lock
- How to create a strong password?
- Are the digital currency on my account safe?
- Resetting two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Why does my two-factor authentication (2FA) not work?
- Bitvavo partnership with Auth0
- Crypto withdrawals lock for accounts without 2FA security
- How can I move my two-factor authentication (2FA) to a new phone?