The security of your assets is Bitvavo’s highest priority. We store most of your assets at custody providers who are specialized in storing digital assets and are insured up to an amount of EUR 755 MIO to mitigate potential risks as much as possible.
If, despite our security measures, someone gains unauthorized access to your Bitvavo account and misappropriates funds, you may be eligible for reimbursement of up to EUR 100,000 under our Bitvavo Account Guarantee program.
How it works
- Eligible Bitvavo Users - The Bitvavo Account Guarantee is currently only available to eligible Bitvavo users and in specific cases (see the FAQ below)
- Unauthorised activity - Someone gained unauthorized access to your Bitvavo account and withdrew your funds without permission.
- Get in touch - Contact our support team to lock your account, let us know what happened, and provide us with as much detail as you can.
- Get reimbursed - We will investigate your case and reimburse you up to EUR 100.000 should we find evidence of unauthorized activity, and once we’ve confirmed you’re eligible for the Bitvavo Account Guarantee
What is covered?
- Unauthorised withdrawal of crypto - Someone gains unauthorized access to your account and withdraws your crypto to another wallet.
- Unauthorised withdrawal of EUR - Someone completes an unauthorized euro withdrawal to a bank account or online account.
If funds are withdrawn from your account without your authorization you may be eligible for reimbursement of up to EUR 100.000.
What is not covered?
Below is a list of situations that are not covered by the Bitvavo Account Guarantee. Please note that this list is only indicative and not exhaustive:
- Incorrect transactions - You sent crypto using a wrong account or public key and can't recover your funds. Unfortunately, blockchain transactions are non-reversible. This isn’t covered as there is no unauthorized access to your account.
- Buying, selling or sending crypto - The guarantee only covers unauthorized activity. If you buy, sell, convert, or send crypto using your account and then you regret it, we can’t reverse your transaction or cover losses.
Example: You are convinced by a fraudster to send funds to them.
- Negligence, inadequate security and/ or irresponsible behavior - Bitvavo does not cover losses when a third party gains access to your Bitvavo account due to your careless security, negligence or irresponsibility.
Example: A third party gains access to your account because you clicked on a malicious link in a phishing email.
Example: A third party gains access to your account because you don't have 2FA set up on your account.
Example: You give a third party access to your device via a remote access tool such as Anydesk or Teamviewer.
- Loss of profits - To be eligible for reimbursement, funds need to have left your account.
Example: Hackers access your account and convert your BTC into ETH, which subsequently drops in value, but those hackers were not able to withdraw your funds from your account.
Use crypto with confidence
At Bitvavo we want to make it as easy and safe as possible for you to access digital assets always and everywhere. Our guarantee is not a regulatory requirement and is not part of the EU deposit guarantee schemes. The Bitvavo Account Guarantee is also not an insurance policy. As the only digital asset exchange offering users reimbursements of up to EUR 100.000,00 we're proud to protect your funds.
Who is eligible for the Bitvavo Account Guarantee?
1. You have completed all the KYC-steps and are eligible to trade. Check here if you are fully verified.
2. You are eligible to trade for at least 30 days.
3. 2FA is enabled on your account for at least 30 days before the incident occured.
4. You are only eligible for reimbursement once. (Subsequent unauthorised activity is not covered.)
5. A police report needs to be submitted with your request for reimbursement.
6. You didn't participate in fraudulent activity.
Eligibility criteria and other conditions apply. For a complete overview of all relevant criteria and conditions, please see Annex 1 of the User Agreement.
How long does it take to be reimbursed?
We evaluate each case individually and can't promise reimbursements within a specified time frame. Straight-forward cases are easier to investigate and will therefore receive reimbursements more quickly than complex cases.
Is the Bitvavo Account Guarantee a regulatory requirement?
No. As the only Crypto Exchange, Bitvavo is launching this pilot voluntarily to provide an unparalleled level of protection to Bitvavo users. We withhold the right to end or ammend the pilot as we see fit.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Are the digital currency on my account safe?
- Bitvavo Account Guarantee
- Bitvavo partnership with Auth0
- Crypto withdrawals lock
- Crypto withdrawals lock for accounts without 2FA security
- How can I make my account even more secure?
- How can you check your account activity?
- How to create a strong password?
- Is it safe to show my wallet address to a third party?
- What should I do if I suspect a third party has access to my Bitvavo account?